Books, Articles and other Resources
THYROID WA has reference books available for Member’s use. There are many thyroid related books on the market and the list below is a small selection. Many of the books listed are available in municipal libraries or from book sellers. THYROID WA has also included some Articles and other Resources that may assist.
Please contact us if you require further information or have suggestions for a new release that may be of benefit to members.
- Running on Empty by Robyn Koumourou.
- Your Thyroid Problems Solved by Dr Sandra Cabot
- Your Healthy Pregnancy with Thyroid Disease: A Guide to Fertility, Pregnancy, and Postpartum Wellness by Dana Trentini, Mary Shomon 2016
- The Thyroid Solution by Ridha Arem, M.D.
- The Great Thyroid Scandal and How to Survive it by Dr Barry Durrant-Peatfield, MB BS LRCP MRCS
- Your Thyroid and How to Keep it Healthy by Dr Barry Durrant-Peatfield, MB BS LRCP MRCS
- The Thyroid Hormone Breakthrough by Mary Shomon
- Living Well with Hypothyroidism: What Your Doctor Doesn’t Tell You… that You Need To Know by Mary Shomon
- What Your Doctor may NOT Tell You About Hypothyroidism by Ken Blanchard,M.D., Ph.D
- The Functional Approach to Hypothyroidism by Ken Blanchard,M.D., Ph.D
- Hormones. Health and Happiness by Dr Steven Hotze, M.D.
- Thyroid Power: Ten Steps to Total Health by Dr Richard L. Shames, M.D. and Karilee H. Shames, R.N., Ph.D
- Graves' Disease – A Practical Guide by Elaine A. Moore
- Laurence M. Demers, Ph.D., F.A.C.B. and Carole A. Spencer Ph.D., F.A.C.B. “Laboratory Support for the Diagnosis and Monitoring of Thyroid Disease”. 2002 The National Academy of Clinical Biochemistry.
- Bjoro T et al. “Prevalence of Thyroid Disease, Thyroid Dysfunction and Thyroid Peroxidase in a Large, unselected Population. The Health Study of Nord-Trondelag (HUNT)”. European Journal of Endocrinology EJE 2000;143 639-647
- MacKenzie EJ and Mortimer RH. “Thyroid Nodules and Thyroid Cancer”. Medical Journal of Australia MJA 2004; 180: 242-247
- McDermott MT and Ridgway E. “Subclinical Hypothyroidism Is Mild Thyroid Failure and Should be Treated”. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism JCEM 2001; 86(10): 4585-4590
- Robertas Bunevičius, M.D., Ph.D., Gintautas Kažanavičius, M.D., Ph.D., Rimas Žalinkevičius, M. D., and Arthur J. Prange, Jr., M.D. “Effects of Thyroxine as Compared with Thyroxine plus Triiodothyronine in Patients with Hypothyroidism”. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism NEJM 1999; 340:424-429
- Libbe Kooistra, PhD, Susan Crawford, MSc, Anneloes L. van Baar, PhD, Evelien P. Brouwers, PhD, Victor J. Pop, MD, PhD. “Neonatal Effects of Maternal Hypothyroxinemia During Early Pregnancy”. Pediatrics 2006, Vol. 117 No 1. 161-167
- The Endocrine Society’s Clinical Guidelines. “Management of Thyroid Dysfunction during Pregnancy and Postpartum”.
- Congenital Hypothyroidism - See Booklet published by the Royal Children’s Hospital Victoria originally published by the Royal Children’s Hospital Victoria in March 1987, now revised in 2014, called Hormones and Me. Congenital Hypothyroidism - A Guide for Parents. AND Thyroid disorders of Childhood and Adolescence
Resources specific to Osteoporosis controversy
- Bassett JH, O’Shea P et al. “Thyroid Hormone Excess rather than TSH Deficiency induces Osteoporosis in Hyperthyroidism”. Molecular Endocrinology 2007, doi:10.1210 /me.2007-0033
- Leb G, Warnkross H, Obermayer-Pietsch B. “Thyroid Hormone Excess and Osteoporosis”. Medical University Clinic, Karl Franzens University, Graz Austria. Acta Med Austriaca. 1994;21 (2):65-7
- Quan ML, Pasieka Jl, Rorstad O. “Bone Mineral Density in Well-differentiated Thyroid Cancer Patients treated with suppressive Thyroxine: A systematic overview of the literature”. Journal of Surgical Oncology. 2002 Jan;79(1):62-9; discussion 69-70
- Baldini M, Gallazzi M, Orsatti A, Fossati S, Leonardi P, Cantalamessa L. “Treatment of benign nodular goitre with mildly suppressive doses of L-thyroxine: effects on bone mineral density and on nodule size”. Journal of Internal Medicine. 2002 May;251(5): 407-14