Other Support Organisations
- Coeliac Australia Information and support to medically diagnosed Coeliacs and their families, sufferers of Dermatitis Herpetiformis and those medically diagnosed as requiring a gluten free diet.
- Coeliac WA Local information for Western Australians Coeliac Sufferers - Contact : 08 9451 9255 Country Callers 1300 GLUTEN (1300 458 836)
- Coeliac WA Gluten Free Food and Healthy Living Expo During March the Coeliac WA holds a gluten free expo. See http://www.glutenfreeinwa.com.au/
- Lupus Group of WA Information about Lupus - an autoimmune disease
- Women's Healthworks Health, education and referral service for all women
- SolarisCare Foundation Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Cancer Support Centre, Integrative Complementary Therapies Information Service
- Cancer Council WA is a non-government organisation. Understanding thyroid cancer -PDF booklet designed to help you understand more about thyroid cancer. Cancer Statistics https://www.cancerwa.asn.au/resources/statistics/
- Congenital Hypothyroidism - Peer support is generally via FB for people who are either parents or family of children born with congenital hypothyroidism (ch) See Booklet published by the Royal Children's Hospital Victoria originally published by the Royal Children's Hospital Victoria in March 1987, now revised in 2014, called Hormones and Me. Congenital Hypothyroidism - A Guide for Parents. AND Thyroid disorders of Childhood and Adolescence
- Genetic and Rare Disease Network (GaRDN) GaRDN is the peak body for genetic and rare disease support groups in WA and works to empower individuals and their families to reach positive health outcomes. GaRDN inform health professionals and the wider community on the perspectives and experiences of those affected by genetic and rare diseases. GaRDN connect key stakeholders and service providers with people affected by genetic and rare diseases. View FaceBook
- The Fibromyalgia Support Network of WA Inc. is a not-for-profit organisation and registered charity run wholly by volunteers, nearly all of whom have Fibromyalgia.
- me/cfs Society of WA Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME), also known as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS), is a complex chronic disease affecting multiple body systems/organs with the potential to cause devastating disability.
- Chrysalis - Lyme - CFS is a support group for youth aged 10 to 30 who have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Myalgic Encephalomyeltitis and / or Lyme disease, and their parents and carers.
- Rare Cancers Australia Ltd (RCA) is a charity whose purpose is to improve awareness, support and treatment of Australians with rare and less common (RLC) cancers. See more information on Thyroid Cancer
- Nutrition Australia is a non-government, non-profit, community based-organisation with offices throughout Australia that aims to promote the health and wellbeing of all Australians. See information on Iodine and Healthy High Five for Women
- The Dietitian's Association of Australia (DAA) is the national association of the dietetic profession, with branches in each state and territory
- https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/ Healthdirect Australia was established in August 2006 as the National Health Call Centre Network, under a Council of Australian Governments (COAG) agreement to improve access to consistent health information for the people of Australia. The health direct helpline, website and mobile app, provide 24/7 access to health information and advice.
Government of WA Department of Health - Health Networks - Collaborative health care planning for the whole community http://www.healthnetworks.health.wa.gov.au
WA Chronic Health Conditions Framework 2011– 2016 http://www.healthnetworks.health.wa.gov.au/docs/1112_CCSM_Strategic_Framework.pdf
WA Cancer and Palliative Care Network -Thyroid Cancer Model of Care http://www.healthnetworks.health.wa.gov.au/modelsofcare/docs/THYROID-CANCER-MODEL-OF-CARE.pdf
- https://www.endocrinesociety.org.au/position-statements.asp Endocrine Society of Australia statement on thyroxine preparations available in Australia. For many years, two thyroxine preparations have been marketed in Australia, Oroxine and Eutroxsig (both marketed by Aspen Pharmaceuticals), available in 50, 75, 100 and 200 μg tablets. These preparations are identical, and so it has been immaterial which is dispensed to patients, and brand switching has not been problematic. A new preparation, Eltroxin (also marketed by Aspen) is now available which features a wider range of tablet strengths (25, 50, 75, 100, 125, and 200 μg) and (unlike Oroxine/Eutroxsig) does not require refrigeration. This may allow more accurate daily dosing for patients and may be more convenient.
- www.endocrinesurgery.net.au Melbourne based, Mr Bill Flemming FRACS FRCS has a comprehensive and up to date guide to endocrine surgery. Select the THYROID link
- The Australian Integrative Medicine Association (AIMA) is the peak medical body representing the doctors and other health care professionals who practice integrative medicine.
- The Australasian College of Nutritional and Environmental Medicine (ACNEM) is a non-profit medical college, offering postgraduate training and education for doctors and other graduate healthcare professionals. Nutritional and Environmental Medicine (NEM) is concerned with the interaction of nutritional and environmental factors with human biochemistry and physiology, and the resulting physiological and psychological symptoms and pathology. NEM is evidence-based, drawing on the latest biomedical and genetic science and research to develop new treatment approaches to illness and disease, for primary prevention and to promote optimal health and well-being.
- The Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) is the organisation responsible for the implementation of the National Registration and Accreditation Scheme across Australia. https://www.ahpra.gov.au/ If you would like to check that your health care professional is registered you can visit their website https://www.ahpra.gov.au/
- WA Department of Health - HealthyWA - Health Information for Western Australians - The Thyroid Gland
- WA Department of Health - Diagnostic Imaging Pathways - Endocrine - Thyroid Nodule (Incidental)
- Department of Health, Victoria, Australia Hypothyroidism in Neonates information for parents of children with Congenital hypothyroidism
- Inside Radiology provides consumers and health professionals with free and easily accessible accurate, up to date, credible information about medical imaging tests and procedures. Thyroid Fine Needle Aspiration (FNA) Nuclear Medicine Thyroid Scan Parathyroid MIBI Scan Iodine- 131 Therapy
- Medical Journal of Australia - 2004 Article - Thyroid Nodules and Thyroid Cancer
- Australian Prescriber - Thyroid function Tests- Abnormal laboratory resultsAbnormal laboratory results - Modern management of thyroid replacement therapy - Thyroid dysfunction and goitre: therapeutic dilemmas
- NPS MedicineWise - Types of thyroid function tests
- Australian Family Physcian - August 2012 Vol 41 (8) 545-640 http://www.racgp.org.au/afp/2012/august/ The theme for the August issue of AFP is thyroid. This month's articles include thyrotoxicosis, perinatal thyroid disease, hypothyroidism, goitre, palliative care, medical education and the recovery paradigm
- Thyroid UK - Campaigning for and providing Information and Support to those with Thyroid or related disease. It has a great site search facility and flow charts, such as the Interpretation of Thyroid Blood Tests
- www.amend.org.uk AMEND offers support, information and contact with other patients with the following sporadic (non-genetic) or familial (genetic) growths such as: medullary thyroid cancer (MTC) and parathyroid hyperplasia
- tpauk.com Thyroid Patient Advocacy UK
- www.edmcasereports.com Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism Case Reports, is a new online resource that publishes and links together case reports on common and rare conditions in all areas of clinical endocrinology, diabetes and metabolism. This venture is a collaboration between Bioscientifica www.bioscientifica.com and several leading national and international societies around the world; all working together with the aim to further medical education and clinical practice. This is of particular importance in the field which encompasses many rare diseases that are often difficult to conduct clinical studies on. For this reason, case report literature is immeasurably beneficial, both for treatment and education.You can read about the experiences of others living with thyroid conditions and may be able to help other patients living with these disorders by encouraging their doctors to publish their own case reports. As this freely accessible database grows, it further enables practitioners to learn from each others' experiences.
US Web Sites
- http://www.thyca.org/home/ ThyCan Thyroid Survivors Cancer Association Inc.
- http://www.thyroidchange.org/ ThyroidChange is a nonprofit patient organization, dedicated to improving the diagnosis and treatment of thyroid disease through a physician-patient cooperative approach.
- American Diabetes Association - article Thyroid Disease and Diabetes
- www.thyroid.about.com Information about conventional & alternative treatments by Mary Shomon
- Thyroid News and Research Articles
- ABC NEWS Interview with Dr Oz talking about Thyroid Disease
- Mary Shoman talks about Dr Oz Got it Right About Thyroid Disease on ABC Good Morning America Show
Canadian Web Sites
- www.thyroid.ca Thyroid Foundation of Canada. In 2010 they celebrated 30 years of Awareness, Support and Research.